Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Setting Goals

Logically life should proceed by
a. setting goals
b. trying to achieve them.

Do I have to mention that this is not the normal course of events?

The problem with modern day economic policy lies in step a. What is the goal of economic policy? Is it
a. maximizing global product or
b. maximizing domestic income?

I am definitely on the side of b. I could give a shit that China and India are thriving under free trade policy. The only thing I care about is
a. the maximum number of Americans are employed and
b. they are receiving the maximum possible salaries.

That's it. When those two things are achieved, I'm done. In order to evaluate the effects of free trade, I need to see that my two goals are in any way served by it.

As far as I am concerned, other countries are entirely on their own.

No comments: